Last Wednesday I reviewed Dear Mr Pop Star, a book all about music and its stars and today I’m sharing more musically inspired books, this time for kids. Books and reading for our family are like air, we couldn’t imagine a world without them, so I’m always intrigued when I spot news of new and upcoming releases. It was this intrigue that prompted me to respond to a request for bloggers from Pop Reads Publishing who have created a unique series of books for children.
The brainchild of husband and wife team Jon and Shannon Beacher, Pop Reads have taken popular hit songs and turned them into colourful, entertaining books. Having partnered with Sony ATV, the world’s largest music publisher, Pop Reads have been able to use licensed songs from their back catalogue to help bring something completely unique to children’s bookshelves.
To date they have created six books, A,B,C by The Jackson 5, Can I Kick it by Tribe Called Quest, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper, Race For The Prize by The Flaming Lips, Perfect Day by Lou Reed and I Wish It Could Be Christmas by Wizzard. The stories use the lyrics of the songs cleverly combined with bright, colourful illustrations created by designer Jon.
The proofs of the books were sent to me by the couple and they are amazing! However, to enable them to be brought to life and become a reality a little help is required. A Kickstarter campaign has been launched today allowing you the opportunity to own one of these wonderful hardback books for yourself. They would make ideal gifts, especially the Wizzard edition which would make the perfect stocking filler for Christmas!
Pledge prices for the Kickstarter will be as follows:
- £7 for one book
- £11 for a special edition book including an instrumental version of the song on real vinyl!
- £30 for a full set of 6 books
- £60 for a full set of special edition books with vinyl
- £120 for a limited edition set including all 6 books, four t-shirts and a bespoke personalised A2 print
- £1000 for a full set of books plus the chance to chose which songs will be used for the next set of books plus your child as one of the starring characters
- £5000 for a one-off book – you’ll be able to chose a song and have your family star as the books characters. You will also receive an exclusive recording of your chosen song. You will also receive a full set of books, vinyls, t-shirts and your very own print
I truly hope that Pop Reads receive enough support to get this campaign off the ground as the concept for these books is fabulous and with so many more songs available to them the possibilities just go on.
If you would like to help support their Kickstarter campaign and get these books published, please visit their pledge page. You can also find out more about the inspiration and creation of the Pop Reads series by watching Jon’s Kickstarter Video.